Have you experienced this dating conundrum before? Scenario: This second date is going wonderfully, you think as you sip a glass of Syrah. Your stomach is filled with butterflies. You inwardly swoon as you notice that your legs are touching. As your date finishes their story about backpacking through Thailand, suddenly things take a turn from engaging to an awkward, uncomfortable silence. In this moment (that you think stretches on forever), you find that you don't know what to say next.
Unexpected, lingering silences can quickly go from inconvenient to embarrassing and have the potential to ruin a great date, so it's best to be prepared. If you're worried about these sudden lulls on a date, we've compiled a list of conversation-starting questions you can keep in your proverbial back pocket. Turn to these ice breakers as inspiration to keep the conversation going. One rule of thumb: Questions should be light, fun, and evoke interesting answers. Avoid polarizing topics like politics and religion, at least on the first few dates. That said, scroll down for 43 questions to ask on a date.
1. What's your favorite color, and why?
2. What sport did you play in high school?
3. If you could learn anything, what would you choose, and why?
4. What were the holidays like in your house growing up?
5. What's yourВ spirit animal?
6. Where do you like to shop for clothes?
7. What television shows are you into right now?
8. What kind of cake do you eat on your birthday?
9. Which sports teams do you follow?
10. Are you a fan of the Harry Potter series?
11. What was your most memorable vacation?
12. Who in your family are you closest to?
13. What was your most epic Halloween costume?
14. Do you like to cook?
15. What's your go-to recipe for a busy weeknight?
16. Where have you always wanted to travel?
17. If you had to drink only one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
18. Do you like to swim in the ocean?
19. Do you collect anything?
20. WhatВ book isВ currently on yourВ nightstand?
21. Have you seen any good movies lately?
22. What does your ideal celebratory feast look like?
23. Which movie or TV show character do you most identify with?
24. Where is your happy place?
25. What does your perfect Saturday consist of?
26. Do you prefer coffee or tea?
27. What is something you're bad at?
28. What are you dying to try?
29. What is your hidden talent?
30. What is your favorite childhood memory?
31. When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?
32. What Spotify station are you currently rocking?
33. Are you a cat person or a dog person?
34. What's your morning coffee order?
35. How do you typically celebrate your birthday?
36. What are your pet peeves?
37. Do you have any irrational fears?
38. What's your favorite dessert?
39. What's the worst date you've ever been on?
40. What destination intimidates you, yet interests you enough to want to visit?
41. If you could grab drinks or dine with anyone in the world (dead or alive), who would it be?
42. Do you have any quirky habits?
43. Which book has changed your life?